Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Anglo-Saxon Heroes Today

How do the heroes of Anglo-Saxons compare to the heroes of today's video game industry?


In the time period of the Anglo-Saxons heroes were considered the people who fought in wars and fit the description. When you hear about heroes from years ago they are usually a male, a warrior, and/or strong willed. Characters from myths or legends that are examples of this are Samson, Beowulf, Hercules, etc. I think people who design video games and movies today get a lot of ideas and inspiration from the myths and legends from the past, turning them into different characters and making them more attractive for our generation making us want to try the game or watch the movie.

When I think about characters from history and characters today sometimes I see similarities. Hercules, for example, reminds me of the characters Spiderman, Superman, Batman, and a few others because they all have storylines based on strength or powers of some sort. Also, some examples of how movie writers and designers have used the characters in new ways to attract different audiences are Hercules or Beowulf. I think the media world today would not have the same characters they have today or even the same storylines they use without the impact of mythological or legendary beings.

So when it all comes down to it and you really think about the heroes from the past and present you can connect dots and match up characters. Some have the same names like Hercules and others just have some of the same qualities, like Joan of Ark, I think the people who designed characters like Wonder Woman got the role of the super hero in woman form from the courage of Joan of Arc. Of course all of this is just from my point of view and how I match up the qualities and characteristics of one person to another, however, I think most of my assumptions have valid points.

No comments:

Post a Comment